maanantai 10. joulukuuta 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch and the Sami bracelet

Benedict Cumberbatch is a really admireable person. He's so talented, such a great actor (the best) and still so humble and insecure. And he wonders why he has fans?

Well, now he got all my heart - I've never in my entire life seen a celebrity wearing SAMI JEWELLERY! My heart jumped when I saw these pics, it was a greater moment than watching the Star Trek Into Darkness-trailer.



The Sami people live in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. They are the only indigenous people in the European Union. They have their own culture, clothes, language, jewellery, food, lifestyle... The art of making Sami jewellery isn't an obvious fact in the world - the jewellery isn't sold in too many places and genuine ones (made by the Sami people) can be found only in some places. Here in Finland you can recognise the so called real Sami jewellery by a stamp - I don't know about the other countries.

So, Sami jewellery is quite rare, but nowadays a company called Hanna Wallmark sell these kind of jewellery in several countries. I would make a guess that Benedict's bracelet is Hanna Wallmark, unless he's been up to Jokkmokk ;) It's even possible to buy Hanna Wallmark online.

To make things even cooler, I have an almost identical bracelet that Benedict has! (Comparison, scroll down) I wear Sami jewellery every week, some of them has been in the family for decades, some are new with a modern twist. The one Benedict is wearing is traditional with reindeer skin, reindeer bone and either tin or silver details.

Benedict's bracelet above.
And this is my bracelet:


Appreciate this man and the beautiful handicraft by the Sami people :)


Sources for the three first pics:
http://snelaug.tumblr.com/post/37201460579/black-reindeer-leather-sami-bracelet-pewter-wire
http://cumberbuddy.tumblr.com/post/37180237134/bizarre-sugar-hq-benedict-cumberbatch

5 kommenttia:

  1. How lovely! I wish Sami-made things were available in the States. Thank you for the post and for posting where I could get a bracelet online!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. You are the first one ever to post a comment on my blog, so thank you! Sami jewellery is rare in Finland too, so no wonder you don't have it in the States. But buy a Hanna Wallmark, that way you support a hundreds of years old tradition :)

      Poista
  2. my boyfriend bought me this exact bracelet for my birthday.....i love it, and may have to invest in more x x

    VastaaPoista
  3. I too love this bracelet, and may ask for one as a gift. I am a fan of both Mr. Cumberbatch and the Kalevala. I have hosted two programs on the Kalevala here in New Hampshire, complete with kantele players and runo singers. I am not a Finn, but love your language. I am a poet.

    VastaaPoista
  4. I too love this bracelet, and may ask for one as a gift. I am a fan of both Mr. Cumberbatch and the Kalevala. I have hosted two programs on the Kalevala here in New Hampshire, complete with kantele players and runo singers. I am not a Finn, but love your language. I am a poet.

    VastaaPoista